It’s been a while, I must say. I’m actualy 7364.65 miles
away from the place I usually blog. Currently in Mecca, Saudi Arabia. Probably
in the Africa continent. I’ve never been good in Geography. Anyway, how are you
readers? I have so much in my mind to express but it’s appropriate to share my
experience here in Saudi Arabia.
First day, our flight landed at 8.45 pm at Jeddah. That’s
around 3.45 am in Malaysia. When we arrived, we were greeted averagely by the
Arabs. They were pretty scary at first. Only because some of the people
couldn’t follow such simple instructions which obviously would tick the
security guards off. So we had to go in a queue for about 2 hours because of BAD systems. We waited that long just
for our luggage bags. And they weren’t even careful with them. They would throw
them to the floor like dirty laundry. Anyway, after a whole 2 hours, we got our
luggage safely and we walked to the bus. It was probably 7 blocks away. Once
we got in the bus, it took us 4 hours to reach Medina. We obviously slept in
the bus because we weren’t used to the time zone yet. Oh, and when we stopped
somewhere for a quick pit-stop, IT WAS
FREEZING. We were totally unprepared and it was beyond our expectations. It
was so cold I can feel my bones begging for mercy. We had to pray in such
weather and with total shock after sleeping so soundly in the bus. After that
was done, we got up in the bus and went through about an hour to reach the
hotel. Once we got there, it was probably the best feeling ever. We stayed at a
hotel called Elaf Tayiba and it was great. It’s a decent 4-star hotel with WIFI
at the lobby. The room was comfortable and it was so much more than we
expected. Without doing anything further, we put on our pajamas and went to
bed. Now that was probably the best sleep I’ve ever had in 16 years. We woke up
during Subuh prayers at 5 am and took our wudhu’ in cold water, shock of my
life. After praying, we basically sat the lobby, steal WIFI, eat, pray, shop,
visit places and yaaaaaa that’s all we did. Medina was a very decent city. Not
that busy, not that hot, not that cold, everyone was so friendly and it’s
definitely somewhere I wanna live! After 3 days of doing nothing much, we had
to say goodbye to the city of peace.
We hopped on the bus and went through 4 hours to get to
Mecca. En route, we had to stop at a certain mosque for Miqat. Meaning, we read
some sentences that will put us in an “Ihram” state. At that point, we are forbided
from clipping our nails, cutting our hair, say bad things, expose our body and
a lot more regulations. If one breaks the rule, they have to pay “dam” which is
in a form of money. Usually it’s paying the amount of money worth a goat, or a
camel. Luckily, we manage to control ourselves and non of us had to pay for
“dam”. Anyway, once we reached our hotel in Mecca called Al-Saraya Eman, we had
dinner and then perform our first Umrah. If you don’t know what Umrah is, it is
a form of activity Muslims do. Umrah is actually a mini Haji. And a Haji is
actually compulsory for people who has the money to do it.
Anyway, we performed
our Umrah which consists of walking around the Kaabah 7 times, called Tawaf.
Walk from Bukit Safa till Bukit Marwah 7 times, called Sa’i. And then do
Tahlul, which is cutting at least 3 strands of your hair. After doing Tahlul,
you are automatically lifted off from Ihram meaning we can do all the things we
couldn’t while being under it.
Once we finished our first Umrah, we went back to the hotel
and went to sleep because it was 5 am and we were truly exhausted. Oh, an
information I left out, the hotel was rated below average. 2-star, in my
opinion. It was small, dirty, poorly-serviced and has no wifi connectivity AT ALL. But I was grateful, without a
doubt. Being at such a Holy city meant the world to me and I had absolutely no
reason to complain. In Mecca, we visited many historic places such as Bukit
Arafah and Hudaibiyyah. It is busier here. The mosque is further which means we
have to get ready sooner. Cars are everywhere and people here are less friendly
compared to Medina. Okay anyway, we performed our second Umrah on the fourth
day. It was amazing. We did the Tawaf on the higher floor. Better view of the
Kaabah and less people but it was under the sun. If you guys don’t know this,
I’ve always been afraid of the sun. I get sunburns so easily. Although I
participate in so much sport, my face is my top priority. So, after we did
Tawaf, we did Sa’i and then Tahlul. Then we went back to the hotel and rested
all day. Mecca is less interesting because it’s much too busy here. Everyone is
busy doing ibadah and selling stuff around the mosque and policemen were
everywhere. Basically, it wasn’t my kind of beef. Currently, it’s 3.47 pm here
in Mecca. My flight to Malaysia is tomorrow evening at 10 pm and it’s a 10
hour-flight back. I can’t wait to go back.Well, it’s goodbye for now. Nothing
much to say about Mecca nor Medina anymore. Till the next entry, bye!
Sincerely,
The Abstruse Writer
No comments:
Post a Comment